What is the Multi-Tiered Systems of Support Model?
A Multi-Tiered System of Supports is an educational framework focused on data-driven decisions where students are supported in academic, social and emotional, behavioural, and sensory domains based on strength and area of need.
The focus in Tier 1 is for the classroom teacher to provide universal/core instruction for all learners. Tier 2 focuses on targeted support or instruction for some students. Tier 3 refers to individualized supports or instruction provided to a few students.
Classroom teachers are responsible for all students within their class. Student Support Services provides support and coordination of support services.
Tier 1 - Universal Supports
- Beneficial for ALL students
- All students are impacted by the supports and services within the classroom
- Classroom Teaching is focused on meeting the diverse needs of ALL students
- Focus on Social-Emotional Supports and Building Relationships
- General Strategies and Resources
- Student Support Services personnel support the classroom and/or program as a whole
Tier 2 - Targeted Services
- Targeted to SOME
- A small group or a few students are supported
- Strategies may be focused on supporting a small group of students
- Student Support Teachers may screen and provide support where needed
- Small group support (within the classroom or in an alternate setting)
- Intervention may be short-term and will be reviewed on an ongoing basis; achievement of goals within a specific timeframe
Tier 3 - Individual Supports
- Specific to ONE
- Services targeted at individual students whose needs extend beyond Tier 1 and Tier 2 supports
- Specific strategies, resources, and/or equipment
- Ongoing collaborative team consultation and planning usually required
- More complex needs or needs in multiple domain areas
- Long-term supports/goals and Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- Ministry designation and more in-depth assessment needs
- Student Support Teachers are case managers for students with Tier 3 support needs; oversee the programming and support needs in consultation with the collaborative team
LEARN MORE ABOUT STUDENT SUPPORT!