Financial Assistance for School Tuition
Approximately 50 percent of the school’s annual operating expenses are covered by government grants; the balance of which is covered by tuition. Accordingly, tuition plays a critical role and controls the quality of the education Kelowna Christian School is able to offer. Since the beginning of our school in 1978, significant funds have been devoted to assisting those families experiencing temporary financial hardship or for whom paying full tuition is beyond their financial means. UPDATE: For the 2023–2024 academic year, Kelowna Christian School expects to distribute $300,000 or 8% of projected tuition income.
In order for us to allocate our resources wisely and fairly, we have enlisted the help of Independent School Management's FAST (Financial Aid for School Tuition) program. FAST does not decide whether financial assistance will be given or how much to give. Rather FAST provides a need-based financial aid analysis service which includes a recommendation of what a family should reasonably contribute toward tuition. All information from FAST is kept strictly confidential. Results are reviewed by the school’s Business Office and Financial Aid Committee which makes recommendations based on the annual Financial Assistance Fund budget. A letter confirming the amount of financial aid is sent to families no later than the first week of June.
While the availability of school resources, the number of qualified applicants, and overall budgetary constraints influence financial assistance decisions, Kelowna Christian School is committed to making grants available to as many eligible applicants as possible. In an effort to make the process fair to all, Kelowna Christian School considers the following when making award decisions:
- Both parents are expected to contribute to tuition. If a parent chooses not to work, Kelowna Christian School imputes an annual income for a non-working parent.
- In the case of divorce or separation, Kelowna Christian School requires both parents to file an application for financial assistance. The school is not bound by any divorce agreement specifying a parent’s responsibility for educational expenses.
- Kelowna Christian School believes a family should invest in their child’s education before elective expenses, for example, secondary home ownership, club memberships, expensive car leases/purchases, and elaborate vacations.
No financial aid procedure can be entirely equitable—there are simply too many individual factors and extenuating circumstances—however, we believe the process that has been established serves Kelowna Christian School well.
Financial Aid Procedures
1. Parents are asked to access the F.A.S.T. Program website specifically for Kelowna Christian School applicants. Click on the FAST icon to the right…
2. Once there, click the Start Application button in the middle of the first page. All your financial information should be entered directly through the secure server. Space is also provided to fill out additional information that may be pertinent to your application. In addition, a copy of your most recent tax return and other supporting documents should be uploaded or mailed directly to FAST.
3. A non-refundable fee of $50.00 US dollars is charged by FAST to process your online application (via online Credit card payment). Once completed, the application will be available immediately for review by our school’s Business Office. A FAST representative or the school’s Business Office will contact you if additional information is needed.
4. Should you require assistance with your application, FAST Customer Service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, toll-free at 877-326-FAST (3278).
PROCEDURE AFTER APPLICATION IS SUBMITTED:
1. Once entered, the school’s Business Office can access your application.
2. Between May 17 – 21, the Financial Aid Committee meets to review all completed applications and results of FAST’s financial aid analysis; it then prioritizes applications and makes decisions based upon the school’s annual Financial Aid budget.
3. By June 1, the Business Office sends a letter confirming the amount of financial aid granted to families, and upon approval, adjusts the annual tuition payable for the school year.
Financial Aid Application
- Parents are asked to access the F.A.S.T. Program website specifically for Kelowna Christian School applicants. Click on the FAST icon above.
- Once there, click the Start Application button in the middle of the first page. All your financial information should be entered directly through the secure server. Space is also provided to fill out additional information that may be pertinent to your application. In addition, a copy of your most recent tax return and other supporting documents should be mailed directly to FAST.
- A fee of $45.00 US dollars is charged by FAST to process your application (via online Credit card payment). Once completed, the application will be available immediately for review by our school’s Business Office. You may be contacted if additional information is needed.
- Should you require assistance with your application, FAST Customer Service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, toll free at 877-326-FAST (3278).
Financial Aid Deadlines
The deadlines for applying for financial aid for the 2023-24 school year are as follows:
By May 1, 2023: FAST applications for returning families must be completed
By May 15, 2023: Supporting documents (i.e. tax return & other forms) must be received by FAST
By August 31, 2023: Late applications from new families enrolling for the first time
Once these deadlines have passed families can still complete an application, however financial aid may not be awarded if the annual Financial Aid budget is fully committed to prior applicants. Therefore, if a need for financial aid exists, families should not delay; they are advised to submit their FAST application at the very earliest opportunity.